I love making these balls so much because I can improvise with whatever nuts and seeds I have on hand. I might have pecans but no walnuts, hemp seeds but no chia, peanut butter but no almond butter......When it comes to these balls, anything goes. Substitute away!
- 6 Tbsp ground pecans, plus 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans*
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed^
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- a large pinch of salt
- In a bowl, combine and thoroughly mix together all ingredients (except finely chopped pecans) until they form a dough. Refrigerate for 15 minutes until dough is firm but still pliable.
- Spread chopped pecans on a plate. Scoop out a heaping teaspoon of dough and, with wet hands shape it into a ball. Roll it into chopped pecans until fully coated. Repeat with the remaining dough. You should have about a dozen of them.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
* To make ground pecans, use a grinder or food processor. The texture should be coarser than flour and similar to sand.
^ Because I use flaxseed a lot for my morning oatmeal and smoothies, I dedicate a small coffee grinder exclusively for grinding flaxseed so I don't have to clean up the grinder after each use.