Finally a yummy millet recipe!
If you are like me, looking to broaden your gluten-free whole grain repertoire so you are not eating brown rice and quinoa every day, check out this wonderful summer recipe from Marco Canora's "A Good Food Day".
- 12 carrots, scrubbed with tops trimmed
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 2 Tbsp
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup millet
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 Tbsp unsalted pistachios, plus chopped pistachios for serving
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Leave carrots whole, or if they are thicker than 1/2 inch, half them lengthwise. On the baking sheet toss them with 2 Tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast, shaking the sheet occasionally until the skin looks shriveled and lightly browned, for about an hour.
- While the carrots are roasting, prepare the millet. Toast it in a dry pot over medium-high heat , stirring often until the grains turn golden brown, for about 4 minutes. Add 2 1/4 cups of water and a pinch of salt to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Take the pot off the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Now prepare the mint-pistachio dressing. In a food processor, combine the mint, pistachios, a pinch of salt and process until the nuts are coarsely ground. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil and and process until pesto is smooth. Throw in a little Parmesan if you like a more cheesy pesto.
- On a large platter, toss the roasted carrots with millet and enough dressing to coat everything. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle a few chopped pistachios on top.
Beautifully roasted carrots...
The dressing also works really well with quinoa!