My daughter's favorite dinner - steak and mashed potatoes! Except for tonight I made a potato-less mash with millet and cauliflower, a protein-packed whole grain with a complex carb. She LOVED it!!
For all comfort food lovers out there, make this healthy mash!
- 1 cup millet (washed and soaked overnight if possible)
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt + more if necessary
- black pepper
- butter (optional)
- Put drained millet, cauliflower, water and salt in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes or until millet is fluffy and soft and all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Add butter (optional). Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mash until creamy with a potato masher or heavy spoon. Add more salt and black pepper to taste. Cover pot again for 5 minutes before serving.
I served mine with a hearty black bean stew on top. Try yours with scallion, garlic, tamari or any favorite oils or herbs of your choice!