You can make porridge from any breakfast grain. Lately I have been obsessing with millet porridge. It is more neutral than quinoa and breaks up the monotony of daily oatmeal.
How to cook millet:
- In a large saucepan, toast 1 cup of millet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until they turn into a rich golden brown and become fragrant.
- Add 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Stir. Increase heat to high and bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let it sit covered for a few minutes. Fluff and serve.
- Save leftovers for morning millet porridge.
How to make millet porridge:
- In a saucepan combine 1 cup of cooked millet, 1 chopped banana, 1 cup of almond milk or water. Bring it to boil and turn the heat to low.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon. Allow it to simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- When done, top with a few slices of apple or pear, a sprinkle of coconut flakes and your favorite chopped nuts and seeds.