Always having pre-cooked protein in the fridge is one of my top kitchen practices. And what is an easier way to make a big batch of shredded chicken than the Instant Pot?
Here is what you need:
- Instant Pot
- 1 steamer rack
- 1 steamer basket
- 4 chicken breasts (skin on or off)
- 1 cup of water
Here is how you do it:
- Add 1 cup of water to Instant Pot.
- Put a steamer rack down, add 2 pieces of chicken breasts on top.
- Layer a steamer basket on top of the first tier of chicken breasts. Put 2 more pieces of chicken breasts on top to create a second tier.
- Close the lid and cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the timer is up, leave the chicken breasts in Instant Pot for 10 minutes to de-pressurize (even if the floating valve drops before the 10-minute mark.)
- Open the lid. Take out the chicken breasts and set them on a plate to cool off for 5-10 minutes.
- Shred the chicken breasts with your hands or 2 forks.
- Store them in containers. Refrigerate or freeze.
What do you do do with a big stash of shredded chicken? I fortify my noodle soups and lentil soups with the extra protein and make delicious salads and stir-fries with it.